Runny Running

Aaagghhh! Every Sunday I forget to take tissues, and today was no exception. I'm 5 mins into it & I can feel things becoming fluid, if you know what I mean! It was frickin cold when I started out today & the nose reacted accordingly. With no tissues I had to improvise...back of the hand got the worst of it.....
 
Anyway, today was a 12 miler. For those that don't run, Sundays tend to be the day when runners do their "long" run. The idea is its the longest run they'll do all week but at a very slow pace, conversational in fact. I've struggled to nail the slow pace because....well, I don't know why actually. I just like running at a harder pace. A friend recently suggested that I run slow for the first half then run the 2nd half slightly faster, thus perfecting the negative split as well as giving me something to look forward to in the first half half. Worked a treat (thanks Jelly)
 
While I'm out running generally my mind wanders. The usual topics cover things like...what would I do in a zombie invasion (I've got the exit all planned as well as destination etc etc) to the more obvious what I would do if I won the lottery. I've even been known to imagine what I would do if I happened to bump in to Kelly Brook whilst out running (I'd obviously tell her to leave me alone as I already have a lovely wife.....plus, in fairness, she may not fancy me being so snotty)
 
I couldn't help noticing a fellow runner who was running with his dog. Poor bugger kept stopping every 30 secs so the dog could have a sniff/wee/poo. It reminded me of why I don't like dogs. In fairness though, dog owners have gone hugely up in my estimation since becoming a runner. Most of them pull their dogs to one side so that I can run passed unmolested by their K9's...I very much appreciate their gesture & publicly thank them!
 
By the time I got home I was greeted by the smell of banana cake cooking & the wife had remembered to turn the hot water on. Kelly Brook? Pah!! My wife is the best

Comments

  1. That first paragraph is filth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha love your 'conversational' quote, all my running is conversational!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an idea to help you with starting slow and second half faster.
    Get a dog! Put it on its lead, then fill its food bowl on the other side of the room.
    Don't let the dog have any before taking it on a run.
    The dog will slow you down as you run away from home.
    Second half of run, homeward bound, the dog will set a very fast pace for you to match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thinking Dogs Life. What sort of dog did you have in mind?

      Delete
  4. Definitely not the Duchshund (sausage dog) their legs are way to small. Even at full speed a toddler would walk faster. Now a Husky could put Mr Bolt to shame, so I wouldn't try beating one of those in any race.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Old Duffer?

London Marathon - here I come!